DIY kitchen design is something I am very passionate about after remodeling our kitchen last year. I decided to do blog round up post all about the do’s and dont’s of remodeling a kitchen.
Round up blogs posts are where I share a few articles written by experts and share them on this one post. It’s easier than clicking and jumping to a bunch of different sites! After each set of article there is some author information to check out their work.
To see my first round up post all of farmhouse style head over here. Keep reading to get tips for kitchen design and remodeling.
Stress Free Kitchen Remodel
You’ve measured out your space, finalized the plans with your designer, and ordered the glossy countertops and the high-quality yet affordable kitchen cabinets that you’ve always wanted. Now that you’ve done the legwork of your kitchen remodel, you can sit back and relax while everything is put into place, right?
Well, not exactly. While you’ve done the legwork to prepare, another hurdle lies ahead: coping with not having a functional kitchen for several weeks. If you’re wondering how you’ll stay sane amidst plywood, drilling, and microwavable meals, you’ve come to the right place. To keep stress at bay during your remodel, take a few deep breaths – and follow these six simple steps!
1. Wave goodbye to cooking. Unless you have an accommodating neighbor or friend, chances are that you won’t have an accessible stove or oven for a few weeks. So, hold off on those fancy meals that you had planned until your remodel is complete; in the meantime, you’ll have to make do with canned goods, as well as dried fruit, nuts, and other easily preservable snacks. Prepare for a lot of cold or microwavable meals!
2. Don’t bust the budget. Tempted by the latest induction stove? Or looking to upgrade your affordable kitchen cabinets to a slicker model? It’s easy to believe that the grass is always greener on the other side, but you certainly won’t think so when your decisions break the bank. The key to a successful, stress-free remodel is having a clear budget and adhering to it.
3. Communicate clearly and often. To avoid unpleasant surprises, be sure to discuss your vision with your contractor and designer well in advance. If they come back with amendments or additions that are unclear to you, don’t be afraid to ask follow-up questions: after all, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
4. Make a checklist. From measuring out your space to choosing good-quality yet affordable kitchen cabinets and appliances, a remodel is sure to put your organizational skills to the test. To ensure that you’re on top of the installations, budget, and approximate timeline, take the time to make a detailed list of your requirements. It’s worth sharing this checklist with your designer and contractor to confirm that you’re on the same page.
5. Prepare for tension. Household spats are normal, and are especially likely to occur when unrest is in the air. While your remodel is underway, keep in mind that its chaotic nature may cause tension or disagreements to arise among family members – and try to circumvent a few of them by arranging more dinners out, activities outdoors, such as walks and bike rides, and play dates at friends’ houses for the kids.
6. Keep your head up. In other words, keep calm and remodel on! It’s easy to get restless or frustrated when a large-scale project disrupts your homelife, particularly if you hit a few roadblocks along the way. But if you keep the long-term benefits of your remodel in mind, the commotion will pass a lot more smoothly. Just remember that you’ll be enjoying the top-notch yet affordable kitchen cabinets, countertops, and appliances that you’ve been dreaming of in a few short weeks!
While the words “remodel” and “stress” are often used in the same sentence, transforming your kitchen into your ideal space is undoubtedly worth the time and effort. By accepting the short-term chaos and using this six-step approach, you’ll be well on your way to minimizing stress and maximizing enthusiasm throughout the process.
Do’s and Dont’s of Kitchen Remodeling
So, you’ve made up your mind and are going for that much-needed kitchen remodel? Great! Deciding to take the leap is undoubtedly exciting… but the feeling of joy is all too often followed by an inevitable sense of anxiety. Where do you begin? What do you prioritize? How do you balance the functionality of affordable kitchen cabinets with aesthetics?
If your head is spinning with more questions than answers, you’ve come to the right place. As you’re getting your ducks in a row, consider these vital do’s and don’ts of a rewarding kitchen makeover. Let’s dive in!
1. DO think about how you use your kitchen. It’s easy to stick to what you know, instead of considering whether you’re using your space as effectively as possible. After looking at others’ kitchens, many people start to believe that a big island, a cozy window seat, and ample countertop space are the be all end all. But this traditional set-up isn’t the only way to go – and may not even be desirable, depending on how you plan to use the room. Do you go all out when you cook, or do your meals tend to be simple? Do you have children who like to do homework or play in the kitchen? Do you enjoy entertaining guests? Taking the time to answer these questions will allow you to design your space in a way that’s best able to meet your particular needs, so give them plenty of thought before setting anything in stone.
2. DON’T underestimate the importance of storage. From pots and pans to pasta, kitchens are often filled to the brim. One of homeowners’ most common complaints is that the room is not equipped with sufficient storage – or that the available cabinetry does not enable them to make use of the space as efficiently as it should. The good news, however, is that trendy, practical, and affordable kitchen cabinets are no longer an unattainable dream, but rather an increasingly popular and available option. Installing pull-out drawers as opposed to traditional cabinets with doors is all the rage today, as the former are easier to access and have an increased storage capacity. Oh, and why not include drawers in your island, too? You can never have enough storage space, after all!
3. DO consider your layout carefully. Just as you’ll want to think about how your design can best meet your needs, casting a critical eye over the layout is an absolute must. Even if you get the techy appliances and affordable kitchen cabinets that you’ve always wanted, they’re useless if a wall or countertop obstructs them. To spare yourself from frustration (and maybe even a second remodel!), ensure that your layout allows you to make full and proper use of your appliances and cabinetry. Taking close measurements of your space and furnishings is the key to success – and if you’d like a second opinion on your chosen layout, it’s never a bad idea to hire a contractor to help you crunch the numbers.
4. DON’T forget about the budget. It’s tempting to treat yourself to nothing but the crème de la crème of countertops, cabinetry, and appliances, but do a reality check before you swipe your credit card. While you may want a chic island that’s everything but affordable, kitchen cabinets that exude opulence, and the latest, built-in coffee machine, do you really need them to create an amazing space? After setting a realistic budget, make a list of items that you absolutely need, and another of items that aren’t essential, but that would be nice to have. After adding up the total cost of the first list, you’ll have a clearer picture of how your budget stacks up – and whether you can treat yourself to a few things on the second list, too!
These do’s and don’ts are only the tip of the iceberg, but they serve as an ideal starting point for a successful remodel. Trust us: once you’ve laid out your initial ideas, creating a space that’s both functional and beautiful will be a much more manageable challenge. A little bit of planning goes a long way!
Guide to More Kitchen Storage
Regardless of your kitchen’s size, two complaints are always at the top of home owners’ lists: not having enough storage space, or not being able to utilize it effectively. But while these issues may have been a major source of frustration in the past, today’s your lucky day: we’re here to give you six insider tips for stretching your storage with everything from low-budget gadgets to high-quality kitchen cabinets. Read on to find out how to resolve your kitchen struggles in smart and simple ways, which may even leave you with space to spare!
1. Decide on Drawers
The move away from cabinets with doors and towards drawers is one of the hottest industry trends this year… and for good reason! While cabinets with doors and chaos go hand in hand, fully extending drawers are a far more practical and tidy solution, enabling you to see their entire contents without having to bend over or move items out of the way. All it takes to get a comprehensive overview of your drawers is one glance – provided that you’ve organized them, that is!
2. Opt for Organization
Our tip to keep your drawers neat brings us to our next point: how to systematize them in an effective manner. After all, your drawers are only as good as your organization – if they’re cluttered with a disarray of items, it won’t matter that they’re fully extending! By making use of organizers, such as racks, dividers, or trays, you’ll be able to locate items quickly and easily, ensuring that your high-quality kitchen cabinets live up to their full potential.
3. Capitalize on Corners
Sometimes we can’t have it all: no matter how much we want a seamless kitchen layout, the size and shape of your room and cabinetry may not align. But instead of letting awkward angles and corners stay empty, why not think outside the box? Perhaps you could fill the space with the pantry that you’ve always wanted, a shelf for cookbooks and nutritional guides, or with wall hooks, from which you can hang bulky pots and pans. Regardless of where your creative inklings lead, you’ll reap the benefits when you realize how much you’ve decluttered your countertops and cabinets!
4. Invest in the Kitchen Island
All too often, kitchen islands are viewed as primarily decorative, serving only as a casual dining area or as a place to dump (and then forget about) miscellaneous items. If these are the only functions of your own island, it’s time to dig a little deeper: couldn’t it also serve as the ideal storage space? The answer is a resounding yes – you could equip the base with high-quality kitchen cabinets. Once again, installing drawers is probably your best bet for optimizing space and organization. Oh, and while you’re at it, why not clean up the stuff sitting on your island’s countertop and store it away in your new drawers?
5. Clean Up Your Cabinets
Even if you switch over to drawers, your kitchen may still have upper rows of cabinets that could use a revamp. Instead of shoving items into their dark depths, it’s worth adding shelving to the interior space to enhance visibility and organization. What’s more, you could use over-the-door hangers for everything from pots and pans to aprons and cleaning towels. If you think about it, it’s amazing how much potential storage space usually goes unused!
6. Artful Additions
More Kitchen Space
Now, if you’re on a budget – or you try all of these tips and space is still sparse, – don’t give up just yet: there is a range of simple, low-budget solutions that’ll make a world of difference. High-quality kitchen cabinets and islands are all very well and good, but investing in a few economical gadgets, such as a pegboard for utensils or a magnetic knife holder, may also do the trick. If you don’t have an island or simply need additional storage space, you could also buy a roll-away island, which will provide you with an additional countertop, as well as storage space. And the best part about all of these options is that none of them break the bank!
Whether you’re ready for a full-on remodel or are looking for a quick fix, these six storage suggestions promise not to disappoint. From installing high-quality kitchen cabinets and islands to maximizing your existing space’s storage potential, you’re certainly not at a loss for options – all you have to do is get creative!
Create a Timeless Kitchen
The counters are scratched, the cabinets are rickety, the sink is leaking, and the once-shiny floors are now shabby at best. This, in a nutshell, is the worst kitchen nightmare – and all too many people’s harsh reality! If your kitchen is due for a remodel, you’ll know just how time-consuming, inconvenient, and expensive this project can be. However, by making smart decisions that stand the test of time, you’ll ensure that your space stays spick-and-span for decades to come. To help you design an age-resistant room, let’s take a look at the five hallmarks of all quality kitchens.
1. A Dateless Design
When it comes to your kitchen’s layout, it’s easy to fall into the trap of prioritizing chic over functional. But while the triangular island and the slick, pull-out dining table may be stylish, how happy will you be when the corners of your island keep getting in your way and the surface area is too small? Or when you spend an extra 15 minutes setting up your table before every group meal? Sooner or later, your frustration will outweigh your satisfaction, and you’ll wish that you’d opted for a more practical layout in the first place. So, don’t underestimate the value of a simple, open-plan design, featuring wide walkways and spacious, easily accessible surfaces. It does wonders in all quality kitchens!
2. Fantastic Flooring
There’s something to be said for glossy wooden floors, but fast forward a few years: how will you feel when the shine wears off, they’re covered in water marks, and the boards creak under your feet? To save yourself a whole lot of time, work, and money down the line, it’s wise to go with a more low-maintenance option, such as tile or engineered wood. These surfaces are not only aesthetically pleasing, but have the additional benefit of being slip- and water-resistant. Two birds, one stone.
3. Carefully Considered Cabinetry
Your inclination may be to go with traditional cabinets, equipped with door fronts. However, while this design has dominated the scene for years, many modern quality kitchens are trying something new: more drawers. These fully extending storage wonders not only look lovely, but are also very handy, enabling you to take stock of their contents with one single glance and to maximize space. What’s not to love?
4. Sound Sinks
It’s entirely possible that you haven’t given your sink much thought, but contrary to popular belief, it’s an essential kitchen feature that’s easy to get wrong. For example, while materials such as porcelain may look elegant, they stain and chip easily, resulting in extra cleaning time and maintenance work on your part. As a rule of thumb, your sink should not only look stunning, but should also be streamlined. Stainless steel strikes an ideal balance between these two criteria, as do matte finishes, cast iron, and flush-set sinks.
5. Convenient Countertops
For passionate cooks, this decision is a make-or-break factor and should be considered carefully. Again, you may be tempted to go with a classically beautiful surface material such as wood, but by now you’ve probably realized that only thinking about how it’ll look is a big no-no. From water stains to mold to scratches, you’re setting yourself up for a maintenance nightmare, so consider the practical alternatives. Some of the top contenders for quality kitchens are quartz and countertops, which are known for their versatility and durability. But neolith, a sintered stone from Spain, is undoubtedly the cream of the crop, thanks to its water-, heat-, and scratch-resistant properties. Oh, and it looks pretty fabulous, too!
A remodel can be daunting and costly, but keeping the big picture in mind and making practical choices is sure to save you a whole lot time, frustration, and money in the long run. By opting for an ageless design, chances are that your space will still look as good as new ten years down the line – the defining feature of all quality kitchens!
Kitchen Trends that are Here to Stay
Whether you’re looking to redecorate your kitchen or are ready for a full-blown remodel, you’ll want to ensure that the job’s done right – and preferably in style! Any makeover, no matter how large or small, requires inspiration, which you’re likely to receive from countless magazines, billboards, blogs, and your friends’ decorative touches. But how do you sift through all of these options and choose a style that’s bound to stand the test of time? If you’re ready to cut through the noise and make decisions that are sure to last, it’s time to familiarize yourself with the popular trends that many modern, quality kitchens embrace. Read on for the five biggest and boldest traits that are sweeping the industry.
1. Chic Color Choices
If you’re after a look that’s both tidy and elegant, white cabinetry stands head and shoulders above the rest. White not only creates a light and friendly ambiance, but is also timeless, as it perfectly complements everything from natural shades to bright bursts of color. So, you can’t go wrong with this clean, versatile look – especially if you’re prone to frequent redecorating projects.
While white is undoubtedly the leader of the pack in quality kitchens, you could also opt for darker shades if you’d like to swim against the current and spice up your space. Colors such as stone gray, plum, or even black are gaining traction, and are certain to give your space a dramatic edge that’ll wow your visitors. Keep in mind, however, that these shades can make your kitchen too dark, particularly if natural light is sparse.
2. Fully Extending Drawers
Many quality kitchens still have both upper and lower rows of cabinets with doors, but this trend is on a clear downward trajectory. After all, who still wants to have a row of lower cabinets with doors when you could have slick, fully extending drawers instead? This ingenious storage solution not only allows you to get a comprehensive overview of the drawer’s contents at one glance, but also enables you to maximize and effectively organize your space. That’s right: no more partially empty cabinets because you can’t reach the far corners. Drawers save you the trouble of bending down and rummaging through your cupboards – and they look beautiful, too!
3. Versatile Kitchen Islands
Along with lower cabinets with doors, more and more quality kitchens are waving goodbye to wall cabinets in order to create a brighter, less cluttered space. As a result, islands are becoming bigger and better, simultaneously functioning as an area for food preparation, casual dining, and storage. Their versatility is illustrated by a hot trend in open-plan homes, in which islands that extend all the way into the dining or living room area are becoming increasingly common. Never underestimate the functionality of these multifaceted wonders!
4. Fabulous Floors
Solid wood floors are and always will be a top contender in this category, but let’s take a moment to consider the popular alternatives. Engineered wood and ceramic tiles are more practical when it comes to maintenance, and are available in a huge range of styles and textures. So, why not go for one of these materials, which can mimic the sophistication of wood flooring, but don’t stain and don’t require regular varnishing? Ease and elegance all in one.
5. Tech Takes Over
Control your lighting from your smartphone, have your fridge tell you what groceries you need to buy, and wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee without having to lift a finger. These are only a few ways in which technological developments can take your space to new heights, making everyday tasks easier, faster, and not to mention cooler! From voice-responsive virtual assistants to faucets with motion sensors, the future of quality kitchens is digital. Are you ready to take the leap?
Although there are many industry crazes that you could buy into, we know that these five trends are here to stay. Don’t forget to review them when your next kitchen makeover comes a-knocking! They’re guaranteed to get you started on the right foot.
About the Author
Caroline Krogh-Jensen is a co-founder of BauBox, a manufacturer of high-quality yet affordable kitchen cabinets based in California. With over a decade of experience in the furniture industry, she has built up an outstanding reputation for helping her clients design that exceed their highest expectations, always striking the perfect balance between comfort and class.
Choosing the Right Countertops
While renovating your kitchen or bathroom, you may have decided it would be a good idea to get new countertops. However, selecting the best options is not always the easiest task because there are different countertops materials in Roswell available. With so many types of materials in existence, it makes sense to look for something that would be worth the money you plan to spend.
Will It Last Long?
When spending money on a valuable addition to your home or kitchen, it is wise to make a good investment so that you are not wasting your money. Your goal may be to find something that is going to last a long time. High-quality countertops materials in Roswell would not need to be replaced for many years. In fact, they may even stay in good condition for decades if they are properly cared for inside your home. If you want to get your money’s worth, consider comparing the longevity of some of the different types of materials, such as granite and marble.
Is It Difficult to Keep Clean?
Most people do not want to add something to their home that is going to cause them more work in the long run. Certain materials may require more work because they stain easily and start to look bad after a short period of time. Instead of picking something that would be difficult to clean, consider looking at the materials that are easier to clean on a regular basis. Some of the countertops materials in Roswell may only need to be wiped down with a paper towel or a cloth. It is all about choosing something that requires less work yet still looks amazing.
Will It Improve the Look of Your Home?
Why would you want to add something to the kitchen or bathroom that is going to take away from its appearance? The wrong countertop material could do just that. Instead of going for the cheapest option simply because it is affordable, spend time doing some research on the advantages of these different types of materials so that you can pick a good one that will make these rooms look better than ever. There are many beautiful materials that could add something extra to a plain bathroom or kitchen.
If you want to choose the right materials for your countertops, consider purchasing something that will last a long time and will not take much effort to keep clean. The specific material you choose should be the kind of material that can transform a room for the better. From author Kevin Smith see other articles here.
Three Kitchen Remodeling Tips
We all want the best from our homes, and for many of us, that means starting with an attractive, yet practical interior. In terms of importence of both design and practicality, the kitchen is arguably the most essential room to consider, yet achieving the perfect kitchen is not something that just anybody can achieve.
You want your kitchen to not only look the part, but to also be as practical and as efficient as possible, and that is where many people tend to struggle. For most people, it is either one or the other, and for you, that is just not acceptable. You want perfection and you deserve perfection, and by following these kitchen design tips, perfection is exactly what you are going to get, as we take a look at three fabulous kitchen remodeling and design tips.
Functionality – A lovely looking kitchen is all well and good, but if you are sacrificing functionality for aesthetics, the novelty of having a great-looking kitchen is quickly going to wear off. Many kitchen renovation specialists and interior designers will be quick to point out the fact that, in order to achieve your dream kitchen, you should place an emphasis on functionality as opposed to appearance.
No kitchen has a perfect and ideal shape, as it all depends on your own requirements and needs. Ideally you will want your refrigerator, your sink, and your cooktop all within 6 feet of one another, as that will make cooking and washing up a great deal easier.
Storage – In terms of importance, when undergoing kitchen remodelling, you will need to ensure that you have plenty of storage space. The more storage space, the better, and yes, that does also include counter storage space as well. Make use of every nook and cranny of your kitchen, include cupboards and kitchen cabinets, and don’t forget overhead kitchen cabinets either. Whilst they may be tricky to access if you’re short, if you left the space bare it would simply gather dust and would basically be going to waste anyways.
When it comes to pots and pans, make sure you go with deep drawers with high sides, so you can neatly and efficiently store your pots and pans without them spilling out onto the floor every time you open the drawers.
Light – A kitchen simply cannot have enough light, and you should never underestimate the importance of a well-lit kitchen. In terms of kitchen renovation and design, if you can, include as many windows as practically possible, as natural light is much nicer than artificial light. On top of that however, make sure you include plenty of light fixtures and fittings for the evening and winter when there is not much natural light present.
However, make sure you position your light fixtures and fittings in the right place, as you need the light in front of you, rather than behind you, as that can result in you casting a shadow on your cooktop/workspace, making it much tougher to see how your food is coming along. Under-cabinet lights are also a great choice as they often shine directly onto kitchen countertops.
Charles Bernardi: An author, business owner of Bernardi Brothers Kitchen Remodeling, that likes to write articles about kitchens. Remodeling Your Kitchen Yourself
Remodeling Your Kitchen Yourself
I hope these articles help you with your kitchen design and remodeling efforts. Please pin for later to come back to!