Thanksgiving is almost here—can you believe it? Before long, shoppers will rush the stores to gather ingredients for their family feasts. And then soon after that dinner, they’ll rush the stores again to snag all the Black Friday deals they can.
I’m not bashing sales and discounts. I love a good holiday discount when I find something that is a great buy! I love the hunt! But let’s be honest with ourselves… sometimes in all the hubbub of shopping during the holidays, we can lose sight of the simple gifts we receive every day.
It’s so important for us to take the time to give thanks for what we have. Even research studies have shown that the more grateful you are, the happier you are!
That’s why today’s article is all about what you can be thankful for this year. If you’re reading this blog, chances are that most, if not all, these 10 things apply to you.
1. Your Family and Loved Ones
Love is one of the greatest gifts on earth. I’m sure you’ve experienced your fair share of broken or imperfect relationships. But no matter what heartache you’ve been through, each precious relationship in your life is worth being thankful for.
So who is it for you? Your husband? Your kids? Your friends or your pets? Celebrate your loved ones this year!
2. Your Health—Whatever It May Look Like
It’s so easy to focus on where we’re not healthy instead of where we are healthy. Maybe you still have some of the extra baby weight from your third child. But the fact that you can talk a walk outside and breathe in the fresh air on your own is amazing!
We can’t always control what happens to our health. We can’t always stop our bodies from getting injured or even from developing terminal diseases. But whatever form of health you have now—enjoy it and give thanks for it.
3. A Roof Over Your Head
As many as 1.6 billion people don’t have adequate housing, according to Habitat for Humanity. How heartbreaking is that? If you do have a home, make sure you take some time this season to give thanks for it and remember those who don’t have the same luxury.
And of course, take advantage of the opportunity to decorate your home with tons of ideas from my blog!
4. Drinkable Water at Your Disposal
Can you imagine not having access to drinking water? I can’t! All I have to do is flip on my faucet to get a pot of water to cook or to wet my toothbrush or to take a shower. Meanwhile, the CDC estimates that as many as 780 million people around the world don’t have access to clean water.
I’m never taking my faucets for granted again!
5. Access to the Internet
This is yet another incredible privilege that we have in the United States (and the Western world in general). Think about it… how many times do you go to your phone or laptop to Google something when you have a question? We have so much valuable information and entertainment at our fingertips—not to mention ways to make money online.
It’s such a blessing to have access to the internet. Have you taken the time to think about that lately?
6. Those Who Have Influenced and Mentored You
Get out that journal again and write down 5 people who have influenced you for the better. How did they impact you? What valuable lessons did you learn from them? It’s incredible how our lives intersect and impact one another. Take a moment and ponder that.
7. Clothes to Keep You Warm and Safe
Not only do we have clothes that fit to keep us and our loved ones warm… but we also have the bonus of fashionable clothing. You know I love making things in my home beautiful, and that includes what my family and I wear.
And hey, check out my article if you need some fall fashion inspiration!
8. Basic Hygiene Products
Again, this is something we don’t really think about often because we view it as a common necessity. But around 2.5 billion people don’t have the means for improved sanitation, according to the CDC. That includes basic things like period products, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc.
9. The Freedom to Believe and Think as You Do
I’m grateful to live in a nation that allows me to vote and to live according to whatever I believe. Not all countries have that. The freedom to have our own opinions, political leanings, and religious beliefs is a true blessing.
10. Waking Up Alive!
Every day that we wake up alive is a day to give thanks. Each new morning is a chance to love our families, learn from our mistakes, and grow as human beings. I don’t mean that to sound sappy—it’s just so true!
Take a moment today to give thanks for all 10 of these things and whatever other blessings come to your mind.
Take a look below at some inspirational quotes that I really resonate with!
I know I have a bunch to be thankful for this year what about you? Let me know in the comments below and check out some of my recent blog posts!
- 10 Things to Be Thankful for This YearThanksgiving is almost here—can you believe it? Before long, shoppers will rush the stores to gather ingredients for their family feasts. And then soon after that dinner, they’ll rush the stores again to snag all the Black Friday deals they can. I’m not bashing sales and discounts. I love a good holiday discount when I…
- 10 Creative Holiday Family Photo Ideas Your Kids Will LoveThat time of year is fast approaching! You know what I’m talking about… the festive decorations, holiday lights, and cookies, the countless mall Santas who are desperately trying to keep their fake beards in place. But that means it’s almost time to send out your family holiday card. I’m sure every December you get dozens…
- The Lazy Woman’s Guide To Cleaning Under the SinkCleaning under the sink is a dirty job but somebody has to do it and we know our husbands aren’t going to! Following these easy steps for cleaning under the sink will make it much easier for you I promise. The whole thing took me like 10 minutes and it looks way better and is…
- How to Actually Clean with Disinfecting Wipes and SprayWe all think we know how to clean right? Well, let’s just make sure! Read below to learn about how to properly disinfect with disinfecting wipes and spray. You can’t just wipe really quick and it works… How to Clean with Disinfecting Wipes According to the back of the package: For disinfecting hard, non-porous, non-food…
- Helping Children with Stress & Anxiety Due to the CoronavirusChildren are vulnerable but very resilient as well. This can be a stressful time for children during the pandemic and spread of Coronavirus but there is plenty of information out there to help maintain it. The CDC had supplied some great resources and information to help with children and stress due to the Coronavirus. What…