10 Creative Holiday Family Photo Ideas Your Kids Will Love
That time of year is fast approaching! You know what I’m talking about… the festive decorations, holiday lights, and cookies, the countless mall Santas who are desperately trying to keep their fake beards in place.
But that means it’s almost time to send out your family holiday card. I’m sure every December you get dozens of cards showcasing families posing in front of their tree. If we’re being honest, most of our holiday family photos look the same every year. So why not shake things up a bit this year and try out some unique ideas?
If you’re wracking your brain trying to come up with some creative holiday family photo ideas, I’ve got 10 that I think you’ll love. Some of these are cute, and some are hilarious—but they all are worth trying out. this post contains affiliate links and I may earn a small commission if you choose to make a purchase.
Pajama Party Photos
These kinds of photos are great because you don’t even have to change out of your PJs. These photos work best if everyone’s pajamas match to a certain extent. But of course, you don’t have to do that.
Recreate Your Favorite Holiday Movie
Got a family movie you love to watch around Christmastime? Why not recreate an iconic scene with your family? Your kids will enjoy dressing up as some of their favorite characters. And with the right props, this idea makes for a family photo that’s sure to delight people.
As far as holiday family photo ideas go, this one might be the most fun. Not sure my hubby will participate though!
Make a Mess and Have Some Fun
Another kids’ favorite… and it’s no wonder why. What kid doesn’t love throwing stuff and making a mess?
Photos like these are pretty popular right now. Fewer and fewer people care about having pristine photos and are caring more about conveying the heart of humor of their family.
One easy way to make a “messy” family photo is by having everyone throw confetti.
Get Out in the Snow
Nothing says Christmastime like snow and ice in a family photo. Try building a snowman in your family photos. It’s a great way to incorporate the whole family, even the little ones.
Or make things even more interesting with a snowball fight! Obviously, you need to live in a state that gets cold enough for snow in order to recreate this photo.
Get Crazy With Holiday Lights
Have some fun by posing as though you’re tied up with holiday lights while your kids are rushing off to open their presents (or ship little sister back to Santa). Trust me, your kids will seriously love this idea!
Or you can turn the table on your kids so you and your husband can be the ones enjoying yourselves. This might require a bit of photoshop, but the results are hilarious and so worth the extra effort.
And of course, if everyone wants to behave, you can simply use the holiday lights as a decoration for everyone—no need to tie anyone up. Keep the lights low as you snap this picture to get the full effect of the lights.
Get Out in Nature and Snap Some Photos
One gorgeous option is going to your local holiday tree sale and taking some pictures there. This family simply brought a blanket to lay on the ground, positioned themselves in a simple pose, and voila!
The simplicity of this idea is what makes it so great—plus the beauty of the trees gives the photo the perfect holiday feel.
But your outside holiday photos don’t have to be simple if you don’t want them to be. Add a few more holiday decorations as props, and you can create a lovely scene outside that’s perfect for family pictures.
Great props to consider that are easy to get are pre-cut logs, lanterns, small wooden wagons, plaid blankets, pine cones and pine branches, Santa Claus hats, mittens, and whatever else you can find around your house.
Now that you have the photos down what about Christmas cards? Check out this post all about holiday cards!
Do you have any other unique holiday family photo ideas? Share your ideas in the comments below. Don’t forget to pin for later and make sure to check out some of my other blog psots below.
- 10 Things to Be Thankful for This YearThanksgiving is almost here—can you believe it? Before long, shoppers will rush the stores to gather ingredients for their family feasts. And then soon after that dinner, they’ll rush the stores again to snag all the Black Friday deals they can. I’m not bashing sales and discounts. I love a good holiday discount when I…
- 10 Creative Holiday Family Photo Ideas Your Kids Will LoveThat time of year is fast approaching! You know what I’m talking about… the festive decorations, holiday lights, and cookies, the countless mall Santas who are desperately trying to keep their fake beards in place. But that means it’s almost time to send out your family holiday card. I’m sure every December you get dozens…
- The Lazy Woman’s Guide To Cleaning Under the SinkCleaning under the sink is a dirty job but somebody has to do it and we know our husbands aren’t going to! Following these easy steps for cleaning under the sink will make it much easier for you I promise. The whole thing took me like 10 minutes and it looks way better and is…
- How to Actually Clean with Disinfecting Wipes and SprayWe all think we know how to clean right? Well, let’s just make sure! Read below to learn about how to properly disinfect with disinfecting wipes and spray. You can’t just wipe really quick and it works… How to Clean with Disinfecting Wipes According to the back of the package: For disinfecting hard, non-porous, non-food…
- Helping Children with Stress & Anxiety Due to the CoronavirusChildren are vulnerable but very resilient as well. This can be a stressful time for children during the pandemic and spread of Coronavirus but there is plenty of information out there to help maintain it. The CDC had supplied some great resources and information to help with children and stress due to the Coronavirus. What…